History 2018-06-06T00:09:20+02:00

We find traces of the hamlet of Garandeau from 1688 where this name is cited among the fiefs of the barony of Lambesc:

From 1453 to 1688, the barony of Lambesc belongs to the House of Guise (branch of the House of Lorraine). Marie de Lorraine (1615-1688) bequeathed it, by will of February 6, 1686, to Monsieur d’Armagnac, grand equerry of France. The barony includes several hamlets (La Chapusse, Janet’s Tower, Janet, Douau, Haut-Libran, Font-d’Arles, Coussou, Fedons, Sues and Garandeau) which constitute his fiefdoms. Thus Lambesc becomes principality (1688) will remain in the hands of the powerful Lorraine family of Brionne (1688-1789) until 1789, year of the French Revolution.

In May 1590, in the urgency of an epidemic of nascent plague, a plague infirmary was created at the Fédons. The latter was only used for three to four months. In 1589, Monsieur de la Valette laid siege to the city. After 300 guns given, the garrison of Esmenard de Vautubières surrendered. The latter and eleven of his men are hanged on the spot, thus paying the price of their loyalty to their lord the dukes of guise. Lambesc, bastion of the ultracatholic cause, is occupied for several days by the royal troops of Henry III.

Under the reigns of Louis XIV and Louis XVI, Lambesc played an important political role in the history of Provence. For a hundred years, from 1646 to 1786, the General Assemblies of the communities of the country of Provence sat there, which earned the city the name of “Versailles Aix”. there are still beautiful mansions all over the city. (Hotel Cadenet Charleval, Lauris taillades, Pagy de Valbonne, Faudran Laval, Saint Chamas …).

The plague epidemic, which broke out in Marseille in 1720, terrorized all of Provence. Men are aware of their powerlessness in front of her and do not fail to take drastic measures to guard against it. This psychosis is established in Lambesc and its population is marked for more than a year as evidenced by the many acts of deliberations of the town between August 2, 1720 and August 17, 1721. Lambesc had his salvation not his faith but in the phobia of its consuls and the preventive initiatives taken against the scourge: prohibition to trade with foreigners, need to erect barriers and barricades to enclose the city and the suburbs, expulsion from a family of 15 Marseille, designation of a path to allow a free movement to foreigners to avoid their contact with the Lambescain (e) s, construction of walls with lime and sand to doors and windows designated, set up of a local guard of more than 40 men, under the command of the Marquis de La Barben, purchase for 80 pounds of drugs and medicines, fines given to anyone who will open doors or windows closed to foreigners , provision of a line of six soldiers in the direction of Saint-Cannat, another line in the direction of Taillades and another in the direction of the road to Berre, secured by the bourgeois guard [9].